Thursday, October 27, 2011

How I spent my days off

I love my pressure canner.

Our kitchen is small. On either side of the stove (with 3 working burners) I have about a foot of counter space - most of which is taken up by our coffee pot and grinder to the right and a jar of utensils on the left. Hubby was laughing at me cause while batches were in the canner and after I washed up the dishes used I was leaned against the counter knitting. (No Megan, your gloves are still not done.)

I was thrilled to have some food safe buckets - I do not have a stockpot so I had to heat up things in batches in my largest saucepan.

At the end of the day we had 6 quarts of chicken stock, 3 quarts tomato sauce, 3 quarts garlic basil pasta sauce, 12 pints roasted tomatillo enchilada sauce, & 9 pints yellow tomato salsa.

The salsas are extra mild - the girls insist that mild in Colorado is much hotter than mild in Minnesota, and they are probably right. Although it was mostly by accident - I had chopped up our Long Jim Chilis and our green peppers as they ripened, and forgot to label the freezer bags, so they got mixed together.

1 comment: