Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Blog neglect


I would like to say that since Thanksgiving I have been so busy I haven't been able to keep up.

But the truth is I am just not that organized.

Here are the girls after the weekly cleaning. The snow is a foot deep in places in their yard and half the straw bale was to cover up some snow so they are more willing to go outside. I bribed them into the garage (not that they really needed it) with peanut butter spread on bread with a homemade warm mash of corn and wheat berries on top. But as soon as I was out of the way out they came to inspect.


The heated water bowl has been a much appreciated addition - for those who bring the water and those who drink it. It sits just under the hen house, protected from the side w/ part of a dismantled compost bin. So easy to clean the straw out that inevitably ends up making a soup.

The girls have adapted well. I don't know why I worried - after all wild birds are in our yard all winter. The red light in the garage annex gives them a heat/light source during the day - and the no light heater adds about 10 degrees in their coop at night. we get 1-3 eggs a day now - I think because so much of their energy is spent keeping warm. But they are well enough to greet me when I get home from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment