Thursday, December 10, 2009

Insomnia?

It was dark when I got home from work. Usually hubby switches from the inside the garage light (daytime) to the nightlight in the henhouse, but tonight the chick chalet was dark and the door open.

I dropped (well set down) the groceries and my work bag on the frozen sidewalk. Inside the garage I switched lights. The annex was empty.

Inside the coop were 3 hens wandering aimlessly around the small floor.

Tweety and Shelly were not among them.

Taking my stuff inside to the warm kitchen (hubby was just taking enchiladas out of the oven) I grabbed our little LED lantern and went back out.

The missing hens were under the coop, hunkered in the straw covered snow. They were too far for me to reach, so I went in to dinner, figuring they would "go towards the light".

They did not.

The next 20 minutes was spent with me going in and out of the garage trying to catch the wayward hens. It's bloody 5 degrees! What are they thinking? The other 3 were squawking protest I think, after all their heat lamp was on but the door was open.

When all were ensconced (unhappily I might add) I gave them fresh water and quartered an orange. Maybe it was dehydration. Or plain contrariness.

Wish I had gotten a photo of them in their hiding space

No comments:

Post a Comment