Saturday, June 13, 2009

the naming process




The first chick has recieved a name. Mina is the smallest of the 2 Transylvanian Naked Necks. She is docile and always seems to be one step behind the others. I always wait to see some kind of personality trait before naming my animals (my children weren't so lucky) but here breed definately played a part.

They are spending the day outside. It will be the first time in the chicken yard without the brooder box around them. It is warm and sunny, much more enjoyable than the front porch I reckon.

BTW, Mina is standing on one of the two tumbling composters that are inside the run. Being that they are on stands the chicks happily scratch underneath them. And I will not have to carry dirty coop droppings very far. I hope the addition of chicken poop will give me hot compost, a goal that is yet unrealized in my years of gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment