Wednesday, July 29, 2009

chicken greens


I have never kept up with weeding so much in my life. The chicken yard is bark covered - and they devoured the kale and hosta I had growning around the edge- so I throw weeds in everyday. They seems to like that better than the leftover lettuce or spinach that is on its last legs from the fridge. The morning glory and pole beans don't dare venture inside anymore - anything below 3' feet is fair game. (As you can see) I didn't realize hens could jump! Tweety is the most aggressive, she seems to spend much of each day hopping for the leaf...just...out...of...reach. Only a watermelon rind is more exciting to them.

I'm not sure what I will do come winter. The local grocery stores have a contract with a local pig farm. Although one produce manager made a point of telling me where the containers are left and what color they were, so maybe the pigs won't miss a few pounds a week. I know they can survive on feed for the winter - and I can live on beans and rice- but I don't think any of us would want to.

Shelly and the naked necks still cause the most stir from the local spectators. I guess they are just lookers.

No comments:

Post a Comment