Saturday, January 4, 2014

Grocery store surprise

While waiting to pick up organic greens at our local Natural Market I spotted this beauty.
I nearly squealed. (Out loud anyway, I totally squealed in my head.)  I have been wanting to try an Arkansas Black apple for years, but never expected to find out outside of an apple orchard.
I first read about them in the late 90's and had thought they were primarily a cider apple, but I read now that they are good storage and eating apples.  (I must have mixed them up with Kingston Black.)

Although after years of build up, I found them disappointing.  The taste was mild and the texture soft and grainy.  They would be fine for cooking.  Apparently freshly picked they are crisper, so the search will continue.

I sliced the remaining apple and added it to the fruit already in the dehydrator.  I am sure this will make them fine eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment